OpenAI, a trailblazer in the field of artificial intelligence, shows no signs of slowing down in its efforts to add innovative features to its flagship product, ChatGPT. Recently, Logan Kilpatrick, OpenAI’s first developer advocate and developer relations expert, announced on X (formerly Twitter) a “huge set of ChatGPT updates” that will roll out over the next weeks.
The New Additions
Among the new features highlighted by Kilpatrick are:
- Example Prompts: These prompts are already visible to authors and are intended to ease entry into conversations.
- Suggested Replies and Follow-Up Questions: Kilpatrick described this as “very useful to reduce fatigue.”
- Default GPT-4 Setting: Paying ChatGPT Plus subscribers will have the latest and most advanced OpenAI model automatically selected for them.
- Support for Multiple File Uploads: This feature will be particularly useful when using the OpenAI Code Interpreter plugin.
- Extended Login Time: Users can now stay logged in beyond the previous two-week period.
Initial reactions from users were mixed. While some praised the new features, others voiced criticism, such as the comment that the example prompts are “terrible for someone with ADHD,” as they may be distracting. Interestingly, there was also discontent about a minor point: ChatGPT’s frequent apologies.
A Look into the Future
In addition to these exciting updates, rumors have emerged that OpenAI has filed a trademark application with the USPTO for GPT-5. This next evolution could potentially include features such as “the artificial production of human speech and text,” and the translation of text or speech from one language to another.
It remains to be seen which of the new features users will ultimately incorporate most into their workflows and which fail to see uptake or are rejected in the long run.
OpenAI’s relentless innovation and pursuit of continuous improvement are impressive. The new features, both the praised and criticized, demonstrate that the company is willing to take risks and listen to the needs of the community. The future of ChatGPT looks promising, and it will be exciting to see how these updates further transform the way we interact with artificial intelligence.