Kevin Kelly, founding executive editor of WIRED magazine, describes the future in his book “The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future“*. Much of what will happen in the coming decades is inevitable; driven by technological progress and trend movements that are already emerging today or have long dominated our everyday lives.
In his new book, Kevin Kelly presents an optimistic vision of the future that addresses the fundamental changes in our daily lives. From virtual reality in the home to linking Artificial Intelligence with the Internet of Things. All “inevitable” trends can be understood as the result of long-term, accelerating forces. They all overlap, are interdependent and together shape the world of tomorrow.
12 Technological Forces
According to Kelly’s outline of the future, we will experience more screens, tracking and lack of privacy over the next thirty years:
- Becoming: Switching from fixed products to constantly updated services and subscriptions.
- Cognifying: Everything is becoming smarter with cheaper, more powerful AI applications we get from the cloud.
- Flowing: Everything happens in real time, there are no more delays.
- Screening: There are no limits anymore, all surfaces can become screens.
- Accessing: The time of individual assets will change. We will no longer necessarily own, but will have access to all conceivable services at any time.
- Sharing: Mass collaboration. Here too there will be a change in the way we own things.
- Filtering: Intensive personalization to anticipate and satisfy our wishes.
- Remixing: Defusion of existing products into their components and subsequent recombination in all conceivable ways.
- Interacting: We dive into our computers and experience a new kind of immersion.
- Tracking: Full monitoring for the benefit of citizens and consumers.
- Questioning: Promoting good questions will be more valuable in the future than looking for good answers.
- Beginning: Building a system that connects all humans and machines to a global matrix.
These trends will completely revolutionize the way we live. As with most visions, they are only possible scenarios for the future. But we can already see the effects of the individual trends in our lives.
12 Inevitable Tech Forces That Will Shape Our Future (Source: SXSW)
Kelly wants to make us aware of the opportunities and prepare us to adapt our business models and our lives to the future early on.
Kevin Kelly’s book is different from other books on the future, which often show the dark side of automation and artificial intelligence. It is a book that sheds a hopeful light on the future. It is an indispensable work for everyone who wants to prepare his life or his company for the future and help shape the world of tomorrow.
* If you buy something via a partner link,”Medialist – Innovation-Profiling” receives a commission for the recommendation from Amazon. The purchase price does not change as a result.
Post Picture: Penguin